Friday 14 June 2013

(Don't) Shine On: Two Top Tips For Preventing Shiny Eyebrows

Hello folks! Summer's pretty much here, so I've emerged from my blog hibernation to send my best wishes to you all AND share a couple of summery tips with you.

Where I DON'T live.

As lovely as warmer weather is, for us it also heralds the arrival of something even more annoying than wasps at your summer picnic — and that is shiny eyebrows. Heat and humidity are irritating enough when they transform your face into an oil slick, but when they start to affect your painstakingly-drawn brows and make them look unrealistically shiny (or even threaten to make them slide off), it's enough to make you stay indoors in front of an industrial-strength fan until the leaves start falling. So, how do I stop my eyebrows becoming shiny and annoying? With these two amazing products:



1. Bald Girls Do Lunch eyebrow sealer

I've written about this product before, but it's just fantastic. (No, I don't work for them.) It's so good at keeping your drawn-on eyebrows on your face that I have long since forgotten how upset I was at Benefit Cosmetics discontinuing my previous sealer-of-choice She-Laq.




Where it really beats all the other sealers out there, however, is the lack of shine it dries with — after applying it over your eyebrow makeup you're left with a pleasingly matte finish that gives an extra-realistic touch to your new brows. I should also mention that you can now buy this product online on the Makeup Shop section of the Bald Girls Do Lunch website, which is awesome!

Of course, even products as heroic as this cannot work miracles, and there's no sealer in the world which can stay 100% shine-free in the face of Californian heat (or even just one's own natural oily tendencies in the T-Zone.) Which is why you also need:


2. Oil-absorbing blotting sheets 

If you're dismayed by how shiny your eyebrow makeup looks a few hours after application, simply press one of these oil-absorbing blotting sheets carefully over the eyebrow region and lift it gently away. Voila: the grease is gone!


Note: you're not rubbing or wiping your eyebrow with the sheet (this will smear your beautifully-applied work.) Rather, you're pressing it onto the area — and if you do this right, you won't lift away any of the makeup at all, I promise. The technique I like to employ for optimum oil removal is pressing a sheet onto one eyebrow and holding it in place at one end with my left hand, while gently sweeping two fingers on my right hand across the sheet and across the eyebrow. This way, you're soaking up the oil from the skin whilst not disturbing the make-up under the sheet at all, because you're not applying any friction to it. Perfect! (This, by the way, is a great way of removing oil all over your face.)

There are a lot of oil absorbing sheets out there in the chemist's/drugstore, the best probably being Clean and Clear's lovely, powdery sheets. I do have a slightly weird confession though: whilst they aren't common in the UK, you know those toilet seat cover sheets you'll find in a little dispenser in pretty much any US restroom?


They are amazing at absorbing oil, and you can tear off as much as you need. They are also FREE, and come on; it's not like you're grabbing a used one! Stop looking at me like that! If you're in a bind, or just really object to the toilet seat cover thing, a sheet of toilet paper or tissue is also pretty good at blotting shine from your brows too.

Enjoy your shine-free summer! Love, Carly.

20 comments:

  1. So glad to see you posting again! Question: Have we found anything yet that will help our eyebrows to stay on during a swim? I love to go to the beach during the summer, but don't want to come out of the water sans sourcils if I went in with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYX brow gel (the squeeze out type) is waterproof

      Delete
  2. Hello Unknown! Unfortunately, I don't think there's any one product out there -- at least not one I've found -- that can keep brows on 100% after a dip. If anyone finds it, I'd love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carly,
    Thank goodness for your blog, all your posts are so helpful! Just a quick question regarding using powder for eyebrows - do you ever find that they look 'sparkly' due the elements in the eyeshadow? If so, what do you do to avoid this?
    Thanks!
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miranda -- thank you so much! You're quite correct: a disappointing amount of eyeshadows out there do have those "sparkly" particles -- even the so-called "matte" ones -- and this can indeed result in an annoyingly iridescent look sometimes. My advice would be to examine your prospective eyeshadow purchases VERY carefully in the light at the drugstore/chemist to make sure they're as matte and flat as possible. If you still have trouble finding a suitable shadow, why not look into specialized eyebrow powders? A lot of cosmetic companies make them nowadays, and you'll find they're very "flat" and sparkle-free. Good luck! xo PS. I'm currently loving L'Oreal's "Infinite Wear" black shadow for my brows -- cheap as chips, and "flat" as a pancake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another blotter I find works really well is The Body Shops tea tree oil blotting tissues papers. Awesome at blotting and also the tea tree helps keep the area nice and clean. (The Clean and Clear is my second favorite after The Body Shop ones).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed so much at your toilet seat cover comment I had to share it with a coworker! I mainly just wanted to thank you for your valuable videos and product reviews. I've just started going through chemo and I was thrilled to see a beautiful, smiling woman showing me how to do all the things I need to learn to do...and with such enviable confidence. Glad my Clean & Clear sheets will serve more than one purpose & now I know how to scam free backups. Thank you Carly, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin--and glad you enjoyed this! Yup, the toilet seat covers (which actually seem to be more of a Cali thing? I panicked when I couldn't find any in Chicago recently...) are truly my secret shame... but I would never give them up, not when those Clean & Clear sheets are so darn extortionate. Hope your treatment is progressing well xo

      Delete
  7. Carly! I absolutely love all your videos. Thank you so much for posting. Just wanted to know what products to use as far as the translucent powder, brow pencils, lashes. I went to my local beauty supply store and they never even heard of half the stuff. And they're known to be reputable. I am at a loss and I still need your help. I'm trying to avoid bad products and bad manufacturers. Can you let me know what are the best brands to use? I know they change rapidly but I'm at a loss and I don't know where to go? Please help I'm desperate. Thanks Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jane! So glad you like the vids, and I'm sorry your local beauty supply store wasn't more helpful--but never fear, almost all of the stuff you need is available online! I've included product recommendations for eyebrow products and eyelash products tricks elsewhere around this blog, but here's what you'll need and where to find it:

      Eyebrows:

      For the base color, you can use pretty much any brown and black eyeshadow (although I use Rimmel London's out of habit.) However, for the pencil I strongly recommend Rimmel London's eyebrow pencil in Brown-Black (you'll find it in Target, some Walgreens and online at drugstore.com). For your sealer, you NEED the Bald Girls Do Lunch sealer I rave about in this post.

      Eyelashes:

      You can use any liquid eyeliner that you like and that has staying power (I like Rimmel London's "Exaggerate" liner of course, but that's just my Brit patriotism again.) As for lashes, I strongly recommend Ardell lashes in the style "Luckies" or "Demi Wispies", which you'll find in Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and some Walgreens.


      As for your translucent powder: you can use ANY kind, really, but I like Almay or Cover Girl's powders.

      Good luck Jane! If you have any more trouble finding this stuff, just reach out to me via this blog or send me a message here via my YouTube channel. You'll have this down so soon, I promise! xo

      Delete
  8. I use baby powder before and after I do my eyebrows and it works

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use baby powder before and after I do my eyebrows and it works

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are absolutely beautiful and I appreciate this site, having just found it!! My eyebrows are 90% gone - they just gradually fell out between my 3rd baby and my 4th - I don't know why and neither does my dermatologist. No luck regrowing them! So far my scalp hair and eyelashes are still there! Anyway I have been doing my best to try to make natural brows with eyeliner pencils but your tutorial gave me a bunch of new ideas and products to try, I am very excited to try it out (ordered the BGDL lacquer and bought the other staples at Ulta!) I appreciate you taking the time to put together these tutorials - it is an unusual problem to have and it is nice to hear from someone else who has mastered the art of creating natural looking brows from scratch! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey! I was actually just chatting with someone today about post-partum hair loss, which seems to be far more common that people think it is. Glad to hear your lashes and head hair are sticking around, and that you've found these brow tips inspiring. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to leave me a comment! xo

      Delete
  11. actually i used nihar henna black mehandi for my hair , but really i am telling its very useful, now i have long hair . now wat m asking means that nihar henna black mehandi is very useful tips for hair growings, so shall i apply that on my eyebrows and eyelashes because my eyebrows is not thick , i want thick eyebrows thats y . shall i use or wat? any side effect is there like gray hairs etc.....please anybody knows help me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bride glow up with Perfect eye brows and i prefer H&M, They made my day, very good knowledge and experience they have, I will surely recommend others. Best Spa In Mississauga

    ReplyDelete

  13. eyebrows become an important part of the interface to use obat penebal alis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing the post! The tips are very helpful for me.
    hotmail email login

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bài viết hay, tôi rất thích, cảm ơn bạn. mời các bạn tham khảo thông tin >>> Điều chú ý khi trẻ mọc răng sữa ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is actually good to read content of this blog. Keep sharing such blogs.
    adhesive and remover Australia

    ReplyDelete